Thursday, June 16, 2011

Life...

So I was downstairs in my house and a book on the table by the door grabbed my attention: Abba's Child. I think it might be Erika's book, but I was bored and had heard really great things so I grabbed it and went upstairs to read a little bit of it. After reading the first chapter, I have no doubt that it was Jesus that moved my eye to that table and had me pick up this book.

I've been struggling lately with the concept of giving myself grace when my heart just doesn't follow what my head knows is right. Sometimes I find myself dealing with some emotional stuff that I used to scoff at when I was younger and I just refuse to allow myself to be where I am in the journey of healing from it. I'm not sure if you ever feel that way, but I decided that I needed to share this passage from the book, just in case...

"To feel safe is to stop living in my head and sink down into my heart and feel liked and accepted...not having to hide anymore and distract myself with books, television, movies, ice cream, shallow conversation...staying in the present moment and not escaping into the past or projecting into the future, alert and attentive to the now...feeling relaxed and not nervous or jittery...no need to impress or dazzle others or draw attention to myself...Unself-conscious, a new way of bieng with myself, a new way of being in the world...calm, unafriad, no anxiety about what's going to happen next...loved and valued...just being together as an end in itself."

I'm praying that I might be able to live out what the passage talks about...learning to accept myself with all of my weird quirks and struggles, not in spite of them. You know...like Jesus does.

Love you guys...

2 comments:

AnaYelsi said...

such a good word for me today.
Thank you
<3

Elizabeth McDaniels said...

So glad Jesus brought you to those words, Brittany. In Him bringing you, He also brought me. I really needed to hear this. In fact, I need to hear this every morning for a while, if not forever.