Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pretty sure "Jesus Calling" was written for me...

Have you ever read a book or heard a sermon that feels like it was written for your life? So convicting...so freeing. That's how I feel about Jesus Calling. The author, Sarah Young, prayed through a year and wrote down the things that the Lord spoke to her. I tell you, every single day is exactly what my heart needs to hear on that specific day. I wanted to share yesterday's devotional.

"Bring me your weakness, and receive My Peace. Accept yourself and your circumstances just as they are, remembering that I am sovereign over everything. Do not wear yourself out with analyzing and planning. Instead, let thankfulness and trust be your guides through this day; they will keep you close to Me. As you live in the radiance of My Presence, My Peace shines upon you. You will cease to notice how weak or strong you feel, because you will be focusing on Me. The best way to get through this day is step by step with Me. Continue this intimate journey, trusting that the path you are following is headed for heaven."

Oh hey, Jesus...

I have no idea if any of you are like this in any way, but I overanalyze and think about things until it makes me crazy. I process things by talking about them a thousand times over...God bless my dearest friends. Needless to say, reading these words was pretty hard for me. I don't think that God would ever say to not be thoughtful about my life, but it's a serious problem when my trust in the Lord falls to the side because I think I can figure it all out on my own.

I also love the part about weaknesses. I have been in a season of my life where I'm learning so much about myself and the areas of life where I find strength and weakness. It's times where I'd rather dwell on where my pursuit of holiness is lacking where Jesus meets me and reminds me that it's not even about that anyways...that I can depend on Him. That He will love me through these learning experiences and have plenty of doses of grace along the way. That his desire for my becoming more like Him is the most precious and worthwhile part of life.

Sometimes I wish that Jesus could fly down (if he flies...I would like to imagine that he does) and sit in Panera bread with me...telling me what to expect, the timing of it all, and how things will work out in the end. But then...where's the adventure or faith in that?

No comments: